We have met three times this year. At our first meeting we had a fruitful report and discussion around the topic of the conference which was well received by those unable to attend.
In March we trialled a lunch-time meeting to accommodate those who find the late afternoon difficult. This was really successful. We discussed a liturgy that Marian had written for Holy Week and continued the discussion via email as members shared ideas and resources that the lunch time discussion had stimulated. As David Pitman is one of our members we were able to hear the short paper that he had prepared for the Conference, but had been unable to deliver. The group were particularly taken by the liturgy written for the 2014 Liturgy of Justice for First Peoples held on the Lawns of Parliament House Canberra. A lengthy conversation followed David’s presentation. It was also noted that one of our members, Ken Howell is to be the next assistant Bishop for Brisbane. Ken is currently Parish Priest at Burleigh (the largest Catholic Parish in Australia). Burleigh Parish has just concluded a building programme for a new church that was consecrated recently. Images of the new church were circulated after the meeting.
Our meeting times:
- June 6 - 56 Racecourse Rd, Hamilton, 5pm
- August 8 - Jubilee Centre, Given Tce, Paddington 5pm
- September - Special meeting. Lunch at Vagellis 12:30pm
- October 3 - “Church Crawl”. On October 3 we will meet at 5pm at the Parish of Saints Peter and Paul, 25 Main Ave, Bulimba to look at the extensive renovations. We will drive from there to Oxford St where we will have tour of the historic Anglican Church (St Johns). Following this we will have a meal in one of the many restaurants in the street.
- December 5 - Christmas break up, time and venue to be advised
Report by Marian Free